According to Wikipedia Dried fruit is fruit from which the majority of the original water content has been removed either naturally, through sun drying, or through the use of specialized dryers or dehydrators.
Almonds are rich in nutrients like vitamin E, dietary fibers, omega 3 fatty acids and proteins. Some say that almonds can be considered the next big ‘super food’ because of their unbelievable nutrient profile. They’re high in protein so they keep you full for longer and they’re rich in manganese.
Benefits of eating Almonds:
1) Eating almonds as part of our regular diet can help raise HDL cholesterol, or “good” cholesterol, levels.
2) Almonds have high fiber content, phytochemicals and flavonoids which help to control different type of cancers.
3) Almonds are low in carbs but high in healthy fats, proteins and fiber which makes them a perfect choice for people suffering from diabetes.
4) Soaked almonds contain folic acid which reduces birth defects. Ayurveda advises having five almonds soaked in water first thing in the morning every day for maximum brain strength.
Cashews are an excellent source of dietary fats. Cashews are very nutritious and are a powerhouse of proteins and essential minerals including copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. Sodium is also present in very small quantities.
Benefits of eating Cashews:
1) Cashews also increase the levels of HDL (good cholesterol) in the body, reduce blood pressure, and reduce triglycerides, all of which contribute to a healthier cardiovascular system.
2) Cashews are a good source of magnesium, which is vital for the healthy development of bones, muscles, tissues, and organs of the body.
3) Cashews contain a powerful antioxidant pigment called Zea Xanthin. This pigment is readily and directly absorbed by our retina, says nutritionist Anju Sood. This then forms a protective layer over our retina which prevents the harmful UV rays.
4) Cashews are rich in copper, which helps with the metabolism of iron, formation of RBCs, and keeping the immune system healthy and functional at all times.
5) Cashews help strengthen the system against microbial infections, helps with the healing of wounds.
Raisin is a small fruit that is packed with a lot of benefits. When grapes are dehydrated to produce raisins, the nutrients become more concentrated, making a handful of raisins a snack rich in vitamin B, iron and potassium. Raisins contain zero cholesterol and are also rich in potassium, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and sodium.
Benefits of eating Raisins:
1) Fiber present in raisins helps in lowering cholesterol and balance blood sugar.
2) Raisins are also a good source of carbohydrates for energy.
Having a few raisins a day can keep you safe from cold and other such infections.
3) Raisins are also helpful in treating infertility.
4) Raisins prevent the formation of kidney stones and when combined with physical exercise would ensure that weight is managed well.
5) Studies show a positive correlation between reduced hypertension and consumption of raisins.
Walnuts are most often eaten on their own as a snack. Walnuts are an excellent source of several vitamins and minerals, including copper, folic acid, phosphorus, vitamin B6, vitamin E. Walnuts are the only nuts that contain significant amounts of ALA (alpha-linolenic acid). It has high percentage of a healthy omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
Benefits of eating Walnuts:
1) Walnuts contain healthy vitamin B-Complex groups like folates, riboflavin, thiamin, etc. These are necessary for a pregnant woman and the fetus.
2) Walnuts can help with depression and age-related decline in brain function.
3) Walnuts rank second in the list of ‘antioxidant-rich’ foods after blackberries. These antioxidants also help prevent liver damage due to chemicals.
4) Walnuts are rich in fiber, and they are a great way to keep your digestive system functioning properly.
5) Walnuts are your internal vacuum cleaners as they literally cleanse the digestive system from uncountable parasites.
Pistachios are one of the few nuts that contain most of the nutrients the human body needs to maintain its overall health. Pistachios are high in protein, fiber and antioxidants. They also have several other important nutrients, including vitamin B6 and potassium. They have a rich and nutty taste, and they contain other important nutrients too.
Benefits of eating Pistachios:
1) Pistachios have the highest amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin amongst all nuts. These antioxidants prevent vision issues like age-related.
2) Pistachios prevent cell damage and play a key role in reducing the risk cancer.
3) Oils extracted from the pistachio are extensively used as a base in traditional massage therapies as well as aroma therapy.
4) It has high amounts of vitamin B6 which is vital for the immune system to function properly.
5) Pistachios contain a considerable amount of dietary fiber, which is able to meet a good portion of the daily required intake of fiber by itself.
Figs are a good source of Vitamin K, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Studies have shown that potassium-rich diets can help to regulate blood pressure. Figs are naturally low in sodium and saturated fat. Figs are also called ‘Anjeer’ in Hindi.
Benefits of eating Figs:
1) Fig juice is obtained to relief from asthma.
2) It helps to relieve constipation
3) These fruits are soothing to the throat, and their natural juices relieve pain and stress in the vocal chords.
4) Studies say that figs are rich in calcium, which is one of the most important components in strengthening bones and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
5) Fig leaf tea has been popularly prescribed for various respiratory conditions like bronchitis.
Dates are especially rich in vitamins B6, A, and K. Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals, energy, sugar, and fiber. It also contains calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc. However, they are high in calories since they are a dried fruit.
Benefits of eating Dates:
1) Dates, being high in potassium, can help improve the condition.
2) Oman study says that dates can help prevent inflammation in the brain.
3) Dates are beneficial for weight gain.
4) Dates can also cure night blindness.
5) They can help prevent hemorrhoids during pregnancy.
These contain Calcium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Vitamin A, Iron, and Vitamin C. They’re especially rich in soluble fiber, the type that dissolves into a gel-like substance and binds to fatty acids to encourage their excretion in waste. They also knew as ‘Khubani’ in Hindi.
Benefits of eating Apricots:
1) Take dried apricots in your daily diet helps in hemoglobin production that can be useful for women who experience heavy flow during periods.
When consumed daily Antioxidants in turn also kill free radicals that damage our cells.
2) Dried apricot liquid helps to reduce fever.
3) Dried apricots provide a very good source of potassium which helps to regulate your heartbeat.
4) Dried apricots contain Vitamin K that is required for blood clotting in case of injuries and to prevent excessive bleeding.
Disadvantages of eating too many dry fruits
1) Dry fruits are very high in sugar and calories so eating too many dry fruits cause you weight gain.
2) Sugar contributes to tooth decay and sticky foods, like dried fruits, that can be harmful because they stick to your teeth.
3) Food items with high fiber content help in regular bowel movement and smooth blood flow.
4) Dried fruit that is improperly stored and handled may also be contaminated with fungi, aflatoxins and other toxic compound.
5) Some fruit is coated with sugar or syrup before being dried. Always read the package when purchasing dried fruit and avoid brands that contain added sugar.