Coconut water is fat-free and one of the richest sources of electrolytes. It is high in potassium, magnesium and protein and is a good source of dietary fiber, calcium and Vitamin C.It is low in cholesterol.It is rich in dietary fiber and low in sugar and has a substantial amount of key minerals like manganese, calcium, iron, phosphorous, zinc and copper.
Coconut water is a safe drink that you can take during your pregnancy. Its natural vitamins and minerals make the drink suitable during your pregnancy and helps to pass the phase when you will get exhausted and dehydrated easily due to physical and psychological changes.
Health benefits of drinking coconut water in pregnancy
1) Coconut water is a natural isotonic drink, which helps re-hydrate and supply energy when you are dehydrated, fatigued, and exhausted.
2) The presence of potassium and phosphorous enhances energy levels.
3) Coconut water boosts the amniotic fluid levels and enhances blood volume and circulation.
4) Coconut water is a tasty natural drink that is free from artificial flavors or harmful components.
5) For many women drinking coconut water during pregnancy helps to counter morning sickness, constipation and heartburn.
6) Water from this unripe and young coconut can also protect the mother and the developing child from illnesses and infections.
7) It also strengthens the immune system and helps fight diseases such as the common flu.
8) Its moderate consumption instead of sugar-laden drinks helps in maintaining weight during pregnancy.
9) It also improves good cholesterol and combats bad cholesterol, a phenomenon crucial for maintaining heart health.
10) Coconut water is also known to reduce the chances of stroke and hypertension in pregnant women.
11) Coconut water is a naturally diuretic. This means it is able to control the uric acid levels in the body. This is fairly important for pregnant women.
Myths about consuming coconut water during pregnancy
1) Coconut Water Makes Your Baby’s Skin Fair And Healthy and also improves baby hair growth. Your baby’s skin and health will depend on many factors, including genetics, nutrition, parents’ health, and more and also there is no studies shows that it improves the quality of baby’s hair.
2) Coconut water causes acidity in pregnant women. It has been proven that a pregnant woman’s growing belly is the main cause for acidity, which also potentially interferes with the digestion of food. The best remedy for this is to exercise to help digestion. It has to be borne in mind that every activity during pregnancy should be moderate, and drinking coconut water is one such activity.