In today’s era children are far away from green vegetables and reason behind it is children are attractive towards junk food. What to say about Junk food as it is dangerous for health but tastes awesome.
Green vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals and also a good source of fibre but we ignore this fact usually because we don’t have enough time to cook them. Parents are too busy in their life so they gave preference to frozen food over green vegetables because it is easy to cook and less time consuming. It is our first duty to concentrate on the health of our family and should include green vegetables in daily diet.
Green Vegetables are green in color because they contain chlorophyll. Chlorophyll contains vitamins, nutrients and other nutrients that keep you healthy. Green vegetables are packed with vitamin, mineral, protein, iron and calcium. It fulfills the requirement of vitamin A, C, E and K.
Green vegetables has many advantages –
- Great source of antioxidants.
- Children, teenagers, adults everybody needs healthy body to live long life.
- Helps to loose weight as it has less calories.
- Good for immune system as it makes our immune system stronger.
- Maintain eyesight.
- Prevents cancer, especially stomach cancer.
- Prevent diabetes as it contains good amount of magnesium.
- It contains Vitamin K that improves bone health.
- Keeps our body hydrated.
- Improves our metabolism
- Help to increase body’s natural defenses against sun damage.
Some green vegetables are –
Spinach is a super food. Spinach is an extremely nutrient rich vegetable. It contains vitamins A, C, K and E, minerals, folate, calcium, iron, phosphorus, iron, protein and manganese. Dark leafy greens are important for skin, hair, and bone health. It is also good source of magnesium, dietary fiber and zinc.
Benefits of spinach :-
- It contains vitamin A which is essential for normal eyesight.
- It is rich in vitamin K which is essential for bone health.
- It is beneficial in lowering hypertension.
- Some constituents of spinach helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
- It is beneficial for correcting behavioral and cognitive issues.
- It is rich in lutein which reduce the risk of heart attack.
- It is beneficial in preventing inflammatory diseases such as asthma and migraine headaches.
- It is an excellent source of iron thus its regular consumption can prevent anemia.
- It is effective in clearing up acne and maintaining healthy skin.
- It is rich in vitamin B which protects skin from sun damage.
2. Green bell peppers
Bell peppers are rich in vitamins A, C, B3 and B6. They are good source of folate, dietary fiber and potassium. Bell peppers are of two types : male and female. Male bell peppers have three bumps whereas female bell peppers have four bumps. Female bell peppers have more seeds as compared to male bell peppers. Female bell peppers are good for eating raw and male bell peppers are good for cooking.
Benefits of green bell pepper :-
- Due to its anti bacterial or anti fungal properties, they can be treated for various infections like athlete’s foot, herpes zoster.
- Huge presence of vitamin C in them reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- They are rich in vitamin B6 which helps to improve your immunity and keeps your nervous system stable.
- Photonutrients content of green peppers is very effective in curing rashes, acne and other skin infections.
- They are excellent source of natural silicon which is very beneficial for hairs.
Since they contain much amount of vitamin K, manganese, vitamin C, fiber, vitamin A and folate, green peas offers a remarkable nutrition profile. Peas contains every vitamin and mineral you need, in addition to a significant amount of fiber. Peas contains a substance called purines. People who suffers kidney problems should not consume peas.
Benefits of peas :-
- Peas have very low calories so it is good for weight management.
- They have anti inflammatory properties which helps to prevent wrinkles.
- They are very good for stable blood sugar health.
- They are natural remedy for chilblains (swelling and inflammations in fingers and toes)
- Vitamins and minerals are present in them are required by hair follicle to growth of hair.
4. Okra (Lady finger)
This high fiber vegetable is known for its high soluble and insoluble fiber content. Studies shows that okra water is very good for diabetes. It helps in lowering your blood sugar lever.. Lady finger is also known as Okra. Okra controls asthma and prevents constipation.
Benefits of okra :-
- Folate present in okra is good in pregnancy which reduce the neutral defects n newborn baby.
- Consume okra and okra water regularly in diet in order to prevent kidney diseases.
- It is also useful in skin pigmentation.
- You can use okra water for hair moisturizer.
- It also improves your immunity or eye sight.
Many studies have suggested that including more plants food in your diet, such as green beans decreases the risk of diabetes, obesity. Green beans contain high amount of chlorophyll. Green beans are rich in vitamin A, C and K. Beans are low in calories and fat and contain zero cholesterol.
Benefits of green beans :-
- Falvonoids present in them helps to reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Manganese content in them tends to keep you fit and healthy.
- They have carotenoids which are good for eye health.
- Vitamin K present in green beans are very good for bone health.
- High fiber in them are helpful to maintain cholesterol and sugar levels.
- They prevents many infections in the body.
When we think about green vegetables to include in our diet, broccoli is one of the foremost veggies to come to our mind. Broccoli is a great source of vitamin C and K, a good source of folate and also provides potassium, fiber and iron. Broccoli also contains more protein than most other vegetables. Broccoli can help burn belly fat and it is very high in fiber so eating too much broccoli may produce gas in your body.
Benefits of broccoli :-
- Vitamin K is present in broccoli which helps to improve bone health and teeth health.
- It helps to prevent liver damage.
- It can help to treat allergic conditions like asthma.
- Sulforaphane presents in broccoli helps the eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Fiber present in broccoli is good for healthy metabolism.
- It have powerful nutrients that are very good in pregnancy.
- It is an alkaline food which helps to balance the ph level of body.
- It s very good for your skin health as it aids your skin and renew it more quickly.
- It helps to prevent various types of cancer like lungs, breast and colon.
Cabbage is a low calorie vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Cabbage is especially high in vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that may protect against heart disease certain cancers and vision loss. It is rich in folate and vitamin B6 which are essential for many processes in your body and normal functioning of nervous system.
Benefits of cabbage :-
- It contains powerful antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation.
- Its juice is good for hair loss and dry hair.
- Vitamin A and D work together in cabbage to make skin clear and healthy.
- Regular consumption heals your rashes, wounds and acne.
- Latest study states that it can prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- It has lactic acid which is known to provide relief from sore muscles.
Cucumber is considered as the perfect food that keeps us fit and healthy. Cucumbers are made of 95 % of water which keeps our body hydrated. It contains nutrients such as vitamin A, B, C and K manganese, copper and potassium. Cucumber contains potassium which is associated with lower blood pressure level. Cucumber is mostly used in salad. Personally I like this veggie very much.
Benefits of cucumber :-
- It may also help to release excess heat in your stomach.
- Its juice refresh your mouth and helps to get rid of bad odor.
- Studies show cucumber have cancer fighting potential.
- Its juice makes our hairs and nails stronger and shinier.
- It also helps to reduce blood cholesterol.
- Its slices when placed on eyes gives you relief and also helps to lighten your dark circles.
- It also helps to relieve constipation.
- It helps in treating problems arising from urinary system.
9. Bitter Gourd
Most of the children does not like bitter gourd. But bitter gourd is one of the best veggie. Bitter gourd manages blood sugar and treats diabetes, enhancing body immunity, relieving asthma, enhance skin and treat skin conditions and play role in cancer prevention. Bitter gourd is also known as bitter melon or bitter squash in english. They are filled with many anti oxidants.
Benefits of bitter gourd :-
- Bitter gourd juice is very beneficial for your liver.
- Regular consumption helps to get rid of various infections.
- It is useful in treating blood disorders and also cleans blood and gives healthy skin.
- It is helpful in controlling diabetes.
10. Bottle Gourd (Lauki)
Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fiber both soluble and insoluble. Its fat and cholesterol content is extremely low. Bottle gourd is also an excellent vegetable for people with hypertension. Bottle gourd is found to be beneficial for hair fall too. Bottle gourd is popular as lauki in north India. Lauki juice is very beneficial for our health and skin. Lauki juice is rich in vitamin A, B, C, iron, potassium and sodium.
Benefits of bottle gourd :-
- Bottle gourd juice is extremely helpful in weight loss.
- Diuretic nature of bottle gourd is helpful in treating urinary problems.
- Helps to get rid of insomnia on regular consumption.
- It consists of 95% water that keeps body hydrated.
- Bottle gourd juice is also good for skin and acne .
Kale is king of the green vegetables. It is fully loaded with all the important nutrients like vitamin A, K, C and B6, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium. It is also loaded with powerful antioxidants. Kale has important minerals which are normally not found in daily diet. It is also called leaf cabbage. Kale is low in calorie and high in fibre. Kale is highest natural source of luetin . Cooking kale does not destroy any of its nutrients.
Benefits of kale :-
- It helps in fightening with cancer. It has some substances that helps to prevent cancer.
- Iron is present in good amount in kale which helps to prevent anemia.
- Potassium in kale helps in lowering blood pressure.
- It contains modest amount of folate which is extremely important during pregnancy.
- Intake of kale has shown improvement in inflammation affected by intestinal cells.
- It is low calorie food which is good for weight loss.
12. Snake Gourd (Tori)
Snake gourd is helpful in fighting with diabetes, fever, jaundice, and heart problems. Snake gourd has vitamins A, B and C, manganese, magnesium, calcium and iron. It works like miracle to our body. Snake Gourd is rich in minerals. Snake gourd is also called serpent gourd, chichinga and padwal. This is common vegetable in south and south east asia. It also cures for constipation. And it is also good for hairs.
Benefits of snake gourd :-
- It is helpful in bringing down fever.
- To maintain cardiovascular health you should take snake gourd extract on daily basis.
- Its juice is quite effective to treat hair problems like alopecia or dandruff.
- This vegetable is rich in minerals which makes our body healthy.
- It also helps in solving Bowel problems .
Pumpkin is rich in vitamin and minerals but low in calories. Pumpkin pulp and seeds are high in both vitamin C and beta carotene. It is also a good source of potassium. Pumpkin is also known as kaddu in hindi.. Pumpkins are mostly used for making soups and pies in united states. It is also used in halloween night.
Benefits of pumpkin :-
- It acts great conditioner for dry hair.
- It helps to reduce the risk of bladder stone.
- It is richest source of vitamin A which keep your vision intact.
- Studies shows that consuming pumpkin can improve the production of insulin.
- Pumpkin boosts the immune system by increasing the production of white blood cells in body.
- It is also good for people suffering from obesity.
- It is protective against asthma and heart disease.
14. Apple Gourd (Tinde)
Tinda is water rich vegetable. 94% water is present in apple gourd. Apple gourd might seem like light green round fruit but it is actually a vegetable. Apple gourd is also known as Indian baby pumpkin and tindi. Vitamin A, B2, C, calcium, copper and potassium are present in apple gourd. It has also many nutritious values which is very beneficial for your body. Tinda is considered to be mild when it comes to digestion and can be easily digested.
Benefits of apple gourd :-
- Apple gourd extract reduces the stomach acidity by balancing ph in stomach.
- Ample of antioxidants are present in apple it which keeps skin healthy and wrinkle free.
- Antioxidants also helps to prevent the hair to decolorized.
- Apple gourd seeds provide omega 6 fatty acid which is good for brain.
- It helps in releasing toxin easier and it can also help in preventing kidney stones.
- It is helpful for anti agening and urinary infections.
15. Pointed Gourd (Parwal)
Pointed Gourd is also known as parval, green potato, patola, wild snake gourd. Pointed gourd is beneficial for blood purifies. Seeds present in parval are also very beneficial. Its edible leaves contain several important chemical due to which they are used in treatment of skin diseases. It is rich in vitamin A, B1, B2 and vitamin C. It is very low in calories. Parval have very good amount of fibre that are good for digestion. Pointed gourd is highly nutritious member of gourd family.
Benefits of pointed gourd :-
- Eating this vegetable helps in reducing stomach worms .
- It is quite beneficial for purifying blood.
- According to Ayurveda, it is used to treat flue and throat problems.
- It helps to cure constipation.
- It is low calorie food that helps to reduce weight.
- It helps to clean our blood, tissues and maintains skin health as well.
- It is also helpful in gastro intestinal and liver disorders.
16. Mustard Greens (Saag)
Saag is the most nutritious food of winters. It is also called mustard greens. Study show that saag is very beneficial to prevent cancer. Mustard Greens are rich in iron. Iron makes blood in your body. It has many antioxidants which include vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K and vitamin E. This vegetable has also highest amount of falvonoids after kale.
Benefits of eating saag :-
- Dietary fiber in it reduces cholesterol level in the body, when consumed on regular basis.
- Folate present in it prevents neutral tube defects in new born baby when taken during early pregnancy.
- According to studies mustard green also helps to prevent breast, colon, bladder, ovarian and lungs cancer.
- It also acts an cleansing agent and helps the body to get rid of carbon dioxide.
- The presence of Vitamin A in it is good for eye health.